Monday, July 16, 2007

Tutti Insieme?


How is it that crazy things all happen at the same time? This is a quick entry, but one that makes me think. Alot of crazy stuff happened within the same 24 hour period, and it just seems strange to me.

Ok, so my grandmother has had cancer for a few years now, but being a tough old Italian lady, she's been beating the snot out of it. That doesn't mean, however, that it's not taking its toll on her. She's weak, in pain, and my grandfather has to cook...which she hates, since he's not as good as her...though for the record, nobody is as good a cook as her.

This leads me to what happened. The other night my grandmother's brother died. Then her sister had a stroke due to shock. Next, my grandmother had to go to the hospital because her grief over her brother's death is making her feel even sicker.

So, a bunch of crazy stuff, right? Then, my brother breaks his ankle...but when I took him to the hospital, it turned out that he didn't break it at all. Instead, he tore all the ligaments that connect his foot to his leg...sweet. Now he's out for at least 6 weeks, and we have a funeral (and Italian funerals are frightening affairs, full of wailing, gnashing of teeth, beating of chests, and random dives into the coffin), and a hospital to go to...oh, and nobody shows up to work anymore, so I'm in a bit of a bind there too.

Excellent, this week looks great. Don't you just wish you were me? Then death and pain wouldn't be so scary since you'd be well acquainted with them by now.

Ok, that's it, I'm off. Ciao.

4 comments:

'col said...

oh, babe...I'm sorry. work should be the least of your worries at this point, and I think Colin would agree, so just dump it already and get on with the business of family. if we get behind for a week or two, well, not to put too fine a point on it, but who gives a fuck? it's books, not brain surgery.

let me know if there's anything you need that I can offer. who knows, if I bring over a terrible casserole, your Nona might feel better just from the indignation.

Boethius said...

Hehe, thanks...I'm good, but thanks alot.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about all the crap going on :( I guess I won't see you for a bit so take it easy and like Nic said don't worry about work!

felonious funk said...

hey man, sucks to hear about all the craziness goin on. hope the family issues work out ok, and what nicole said, remember that work means nothing when family is concerned.

take it easy, take a breather!